- Middle school students feel safe and welcome at their school
- 8th graders are math proficient
- 9th graders are on-track for high school graduation
- 9th graders regularly attend school
- 9th graders linked to mentor
- Youth remain connected with school during and after disciplinary action
- Students take 3+ college level courses before the end of high school
- Students are ready for college-level coursework
- Students persist from fall to fall in college
8th Graders are math proficient
Math provides a foundation for logical reasoning and serves as a bridge for learning other subjects. The math skills that students develop in middle school are critical for future academic success. Students who are not proficient in math in 8th grade, as measured by a mathematics assessment, are more likely to be placed in a non-college prep track in high school. Math skills provide the foundation for understanding quantitative information in science, technology, engineering and advanced math.
We must ensure that students develop a solid foundation in mathematics that they will rely on as they progress in their education and into a career.
Reference: Oregon Department of Education. “Math Assessment 2013–14.” Education Data Explorer. Accessed January 6, 2015. http://www.ode.state.or.us/apps/Navigation/Navigation.Web/#/PAGR.